|Heraldry of the World
|British heraldry portal
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
Incorporated into : 1965 Havering
Arms : Argent on a Saltire between three Roses Gules barbed and seeded proper and in base a Human Heart of the second a Martlet Or.
Crest : On a Wreath of the Colours in front of a Church Gable proper a Bull's Head and Neck affronteé couped Or.
Motto: 'A GOOD NAME ENDURETH'
The arms were officially granted on September 14, 1948.
The roses are from the arms of William de Wykeham, the founder of New College, Oxford, which owns property in the district. The heart is from the arms of Bernard of Savoy, it recalls the medieval Hospice, founded in Hornchurch by Henry II, which belonged to the famous hospice of St. Bernard of Mont Joux in Savoy. The martlet is from the arms attributed to Edward the Confessor and alludes to his historical links with the district.
The crest is derived from the eighteenth century ornamental stone bulls head with copper horns built into the gable-end of the parish church. This refers to the thirteenth century record of 'Hornedechirche', (place with) the church embellished with horns, this is perhaps due to the ancient local tanning industry, the main street formerly being known as 'Pelt Street'.
The motto is from Ecclesiasticus c.41, v.13.
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site