Kingdom of Dalmatia
|Heraldry of the World
Civic heraldry of the Austro-Hungarian Empire
KINGDOM OF DALMATIA
Dalmatia is now part of Croatia and comprised a large part of the Adriatic coastline. Until the 12th century Dalmatia was a separate Kingdom. The Hungarian Kings acquired a large part of the area in the 12th century. The whole territory became part of Austria-Hungary in 1797. From 1805-1814 Dalmatia was part of the Kingdom of Illyria, a vassal state of Napoleon.
The arms of Dalmatia show three lion heads. Their origin is unknown, but the arms were part of both the large arms of the Kings of Hungary and the Doges of Venice. The heads were first uncrowned, but in the late 15th century the crowns appeared, but only in Hungarian arms.
The arms are now part of the 'crown' on the Croat national arms.
The arms in a manuscript from 1565
The arms in the Wapen- en Vlaggenboek van Gerrit Hesman (1708)
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site
Literature : Ströhl, 1890