Province: Dolny Śląsk
Free urban district
The arms of the city (German name Liegnitz) were granted on March 12, 1453 by King Wladislaw of Bohemia and confirmed by the German Emperor in the same year. The arms show the double-tailed lion of Bohemia and the crossed keys of the local patron saint St. Peter. Older seals of the city all show St. Peter or the keys. Why the colours blue and gold were chosen is not known, the original Bohemian colours are a silver lion on red.
The city did not use the arms on its seals, however until the 18th century. The seals still only showed the crossed keys. On paperwork the arms were used.
The arms in a 16th century manuscript
The municipal stamp shown in 1892
The arms in the Kawa Hag album +/- 1932
The arms as shown around 1970
The arms in the Abadie albums
The arms in the Wappen-Sammlung (1900)
The arms in a 1936 album
The arms in a 1930s album
|Heraldry of the World
|Polish heraldry portal
Herbarz Miast Polskich
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site