|Heraldry of the World
|British heraldry portal
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
Quarterly: 1st and 4th, Argent, within an orle a man's heart Gules, imperially crowned Proper; on a chief Azure, three mullets of the field; 2nd, Argent, a saltire Sable, on a chief Gules three cushions Or; 3rd, Azure, a bend between six cross-crosslets fitchee Or.
Above the Shield is placed a Burghal coronet and in an Escrol below the Shield this Motto "Forward".
The arms were officially granted on June 4, 1930.
Lockerbie developed around the square tower of the Johnstones of Lockerbie and became a Police Burgh in 1863.
The arms are taken very much from the device on the seal adopted by the Burgh in 1892. This seal showed the arms of Mr. Arthur Henry Johnstone-Douglas of Lockerbie, whose family had owned the estate of Lockerbie since the sixteenth century and who, himself, suggested that the Burgh should incorporate his arms in its seal.
The Johnstone-Douglasses of Lockerbie were descended from Sir William Douglas of Kelhead who married the daughter of the last Johnstone laird of Lockerbie and whose son Charles became 6th Marquess of Queensberry. In the arms a small difference has been made in the 1st and 4th quarters (Douglas, Marquess of Queensberry) where the Royal tressure has been replaced by a silver orle; the 2nd quarter is for Johnstone and the 3rd for Mar, this last also appears in the arms of the Marquess of Queensberry, whose motto is also used.
The arms are now used by the Community Council.
Seal of the burgh as used in the 1890s
The arms of the Community Council
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site
Literature: Urquhart, 1974