The arms of the canton and city of Luzern are similar and are both derived from the banner of the city. For some reason, the colours were changed; the white being on the left of the banner and on the right on the arms. The oldest known use of the arms is on the seal of the city from 1386, where there is a small shield with the arms in the base of the seal. The arms at that time still had the colours of the banner. The change occurred later.
The oldest seals of Luzern showed either a bend with flowers, or the patron saint of the city, St. Leodegar. In total there are 10 seals known with the saint, they were in use from 1292-1832.
The city often uses the arms with a mural crown, to distinguish the arms from the arms of the Canton.
The arms in a 16th century manuscript
The arms as seen in 1931 (source)
The arms in an album +/- 1905
Literature : Mühlmann, L. : Wappen und Fahnen der Schweiz, Bühler Verlag, Lengnau, 1977 and 1997.
Swiss heraldry portal
This page is part of the Swiss heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Swiss civic heraldry:
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site