Portsoy

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World
United Kingdom.jpg
British heraldry portal
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
Unitedkingdom-flag.gif

  • Overseas possessions
  • Total pages in the British section : 15,572
  • Total images in the British section : 9,351

PORTSOY

Burgh

Incorporated into : 1975 Banff and Buchan District Council (1996 Aberdeenshire Area Council)

Arms (crest) of Portsoy

Official blazon

Argent, a lion rampant guardant Gules, armed and langued Azure, holding between his paws a plumb-rule erect Proper.

(Above the Shield is placed a Burghal coronet.)

Origin/meaning

The arms were granted on April 23, 1930.

Portsoy was created a Burgh of Barony in 1550 in favour of Sir Walter Ogilvy of Boyne.

The arms, which have the silver and red colours of Ogilvy, show a lion with a plumb-rule, which was the crest of Ogilvy, Earl of Findlater, who formerly owned the lands of Portsoy and whose castle, now a ruin, was built on a sea-girt rock, between Cullen and Portsoy, about 1455.

seal of Portsoy

Seal of the burgh as used in the 1890s

Community Council

Arms (crest) of Portsoy

Official blazon

Argent, a lion rampant guardant Gules, armed and langued Azure, holding between his paws a plumb-rule erect Proper.

Above the Shield is placed a Coronet appropriate to a statutory Community Council, videlicet:- a circlet richly chased from which are issuant four thistle leaves (one and two halves visible) and four pine cones (two visible) Or.

Origin/meaning

The arms were granted on November 28, 1990.

Those arms the arms of the former burgh with a different crown.


Contact and Support

Partners:

Your logo here ?
Contact us



© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink Ralf Hartemink arms.jpg
Index of the site

Literature: Porteous, 1906; Urquhart, 1974, 2001