South Kesteven RDC
|Heraldry of the World
|British heraldry portal
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
SOUTH KESTEVEN (Rural district council)
Incorporated into : 1974 South Kesteven
Arms : Argent on Waves of the Sea in base barry wavy Azure and of the first a Norse Ship Sable sail shields and oars Or the sail charged with a Raven proper flag flying to the dexter Gules on a Chief Vert a Mitre between two Garbs of the fourth.
Crest : On a Wreath Argent and Vert issuant from the Battlements of a Tower a demi Savage girdled and wreathed about the temples with Oak Leaves proper grasping in the dexter hand a Flagstaff the flag Or fretty Azure.
Motto: 'ORA ET ARA' - Pray and plough
The arms were officially granted on October 26, 1948.
The ship alludes to the district's historical background, and the raven is not only the emblem of the Danish invaders, but also represents the Parish of Corby. The wheatsheaves stand for agriculture and the mitre refers to the many monastic foundations in the area.
The man of the woods recalls the ancient forest of Kesteven. The banner shows the arms of Willoughby, for the Earl of Ancaster, Baron Willoughby d'Eresby and Baron Aveland.
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site