Wolverhampton

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World
United Kingdom.jpg
British heraldry portal
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
Unitedkingdom-flag.gif

  • Overseas possessions
  • Total pages in the British section : 16,283
  • Total images in the British section : 3

WOLVERHAMPTON

Additions : 1933 Heath Town UDC; 1966 Bilston (Borough), Tettenhall UDC, Wednesfield UDC, Willenhall (partly)

Arms (crest) of Wolverhampton

Official blazon

Arms : Gules, a cross formée Or between a pillar in the first quarter, a woolpack in the second , an open book in the third, all argent, and in the fourth a padlock of the second.
Crest : On a wreath of the colours, In front of a beacon sable, fired proper, two keys in saltire, wards upwards, Or.
Motto: Out of darkness cometh light

Origin/meaning

The arms were officially granted on December 31, 1898.

Wolverhampton was incorporated as a Borough in 1848 and was granted arms in 1898 to celebrate fifty years as a Borough.

Wolverhampton was founded in 985 AD by St. Wulfrun, sister of King Edgar, and she is represented by the cross. Around this are arranged are a woolpack recalling the old woollen trade, a representation of the town's Saxon pillar stone, an open book for the old grammar school and a padlock for the lock industry.

The crest has a black beacon which stands for the Black Country of which Wolverhampton forms part. The crossed keys are the symbol of Saint Peter, patron saint of the town.

Image gallery

Literature: Image provided by the Wolverhampton council and information provided by Laurence Jones (laurencejones@eircom.net)


Contact and Support

Partners:

Your logo here ?
Contact us



© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink Ralf Hartemink arms.jpg
Index of the site