From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Lithuania heraldry portal

This page is part of the
Lithuania heraldry portal

Heraldry of the World

Civic heraldry:

  • Total pages in the Lithuania section : 1,343
  • of which images : 785

Other heraldry:


County : Utena

Coat of arms (crest) of Zarasai
Official blazon
Lithuanian blazon wanted
English blazon wanted


Zarasai first received a coat of arms in 1836, when the town was renamed Novoaleksandrovsk, in honour of Alexander, son of Emperor Nicholas I. From 1919-1929 the town was named Ezerenai, and in 1929 the original name of Zarasai was restored. The old arms showed in the upper half of the shield the Russian eagle, and in the lower a phoenix rising from the flames, and a building in the background. There is no evidence that this coat of arms was ever used.

When Novoaleksandrovsk became a district center, new arms were granted. The new arms showed in the upper half an obelisk, symbol of Kaunas province. The lower half also showed an obelisk as a symbol of the town itself. The obelisk in the town was built in 1841.

Arms of Novoaleksandrovsk

The arms of Novoaleksandrovsk

In 1969 the city wanted to adopt new arms. The symbolism in the old arms was traditionally imperial Russian, and thus considered unsuitable. The new design showed an imaginary animal, partly stag, partly fish, symbolising the rich forests and lakes around the city. The orb represents the sun. The base of the shield showed a wavy sword, symbolising historical battles and justice. The design was introduced, but already abolished in 1970.

After the independence of Lithuania the design was slightly changed and officially granted on March 7, 1996.

Coat of arms (crest) of Zarasai

The arms from 1969
Coat of arms (crest) of Zarasai

The arms on a Startas matchbos label (1970s ?)
Coat of arms (crest) of Zarasai

The arms on a 1996 stamp

Contact and Support


Your logo here ?
Contact us

© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink Ralf Hartemink arms.jpg
Index of the site

Literature: Rimsa, 1998