|German||In von Silber und Rot geteiltem Schild oben der stehende, geflügelte rote Markuslöwe, mit den Vorderpranken ein aufgeschlagenes silbernes Buch mit rotem Schnitt haltend.|
Binsdorf was founded as a city by the Counts of Hohenzollern, and the oldest seal, dating from 1378, thus shows the quartered arms of the Hohenzollern family. In the late 14th century the city was a possession of the Counts of Hohenberg and the seals showed the divided (silver and red) shield of the Hohenberg family. In 1454 the city became part of Austria, but the Austrian arms do not appear in the local seals before the 18th century. The silver and red shield, however remained the arms of the city. In the early 19th century a deer antler, derived from the arms of Württemberg was added in the upper half.
In 1959 the antler was replaced by the winged lion, symbol of St. Mark, the local patron saint.
The arms on an 1877 poster
The arms shown in an album from 1952
Literature: Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.
This page is part of the German heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Selected collector's items from Germany:
Contact and Support
- Your logo here ? Contact us !
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site