Eschenbach in der Oberpfalz
|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
ESCHENBACH IN DER OBERPFALZ
Geteilt und oben gespalten; vorne in Schwarz ein rot gekrönter goldener Löwe, hinten von Silber und Blau geweckt, unten in Rot ein silberner Fisch.
The oldest seal of the city dates from 1382 and shows in the upper half a lion and in the lower a fish. The lion is the lion of Bohemia, as the city at the time was a possession of the Kings of Bohemia. The fish is likely a symbol for the latter part of the name; Bach means stream.
When the city became a possession of the Dukes of Bayern, the lion was replaced by the lion of the Pfalz and the diamonds of the Wittelsbach family (Dukes of Bayern and Princes of the Pfalz). The combination has been used since the middle of the 16th century on the seals and the arms thus have not changed since.
The arms on a municipal stamp (1892)
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Municipal stationery, 1960s
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.