|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
State : Bayern
District (Kreis) : Neustadt an der Waldnaab (until 1973 Eschenbach in der Oberpfalz)
Additions : 1946 Thomasreuth (partly); 1972 Gmünd, Hütten (partly), Kürmreuth (partly), Sigras (partly)
Gespalten; vorne die bayerischen Rauten, hinten in Schwarz ein rot gekrönter und rot bewehrter goldener Löwe.
The arms are based on the 15th century seal of the city and are a combination of the arms of the Wittelsbach family (Dukes of the Pfalz and Bayern) and the lion of the Pfalz. The present arms show the original image, but in the course of the centuries several changes were made. In 1567 the original crown disappeared, in 1819 the lion was placed on a silver field, later that century on a red field. Only in the middle of the 20th century the original colours of the lion were restored.
Hupp showed in the 1920s the arms with a red field.
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Municipal stationery, 1960s