State : Nordrhein-Westfalen
District (Kreis) : Herford
Additions : 1969 Amt Herford-Hiddenhausen (partly), Diebrock, Eickum, Elverdissen, Falkendiek, Herringhausen (partly), Laar, Schwarzenmoor, Stedefreund
The arms were officially granted on November 1, 1899 by King Wilhelm II.
The arms were based on the oldest seal of the city, which dates from 1231.
13th century seal of the city (source)
The key in the arms represent the rights that the Archbishops of Köln had in the city. The patron saint of Köln is St.Peter, whose symbol is the key. The black and white banner also represents Köln, the other banner represents the Abbey of Herford, the nuns also partly ruled the city.
Besides the above arms and seals, the city sometimes used arms, divided of red and silver, which were again based on the arms of the abbey.
The municipal stamp shown in 1892
Seal from around 1900
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
The arms in the Abadie albums
This page is part of the German heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Selected collector's items from Germany:
Contact and Support
- Your logo here ? Contact us !
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site