|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
The arms were officially granted in 1950.
The village of Esten was the centre of the district Esterau, until it was bought in 1643 by Peter Melander, Count of Holzappel. At the same time the Esterau was made an Imperial County, and in 1688 the city rights were granted. Also in 1688 the name of Esten was changed into Holzappel.
The oldest seal of Esten dates from 1533 and shows the local patron saint St. John Baptist, with the paschal lamb and a book. After 1688 the seal showed the above arms, with the griffin derived from the arms of the Melander family, and a canting apple on a stick (Appel or Apfel = apple, Holz=wood). The apple is crowned to indicate the Imperial character of the city.
Literature : Hessisches Wappenbuch, 1956