|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
The present arms (above right) were officially granted on July 6, 1955.
The arms show in the upper part the lion of the Counts of Veldenz, and in the lower part a shell. The shell (Muschel) is a canting symbol. The combination of lion and shell already appears in the oldest known seal of the city (city rights date from 1349), dating from 1496. The Counts of Veldenz ruled Obermoschel until 1409. The composition of the arms thus never changed since. The lion was wrongly shown as the golden lion of the Pfalz in the 19th century, and arms with this lion (above left) were used in until 1955.
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.