Odernheim am Glan
|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
ODERNHEIM AM GLAN
Silber auf grünem Dreiberg rechts ein goldenes Hochkreuz, auf das ein links danebenstehender blauer, goldbewehrter und rotbezungter Löwe die Pranke legt.
The present arms were granted in 1955 and are identical to the oldest known arms.
Odernheim received city rights in 1349 from the Counts of Veldenz. The oldest known seal dates from the same time and already shows the above arms. The cross most likely symbolises the local church, devoted to the Holy Cross. The lion is derived from the arms of the Counts of Veldenz. When the city became a possession of the Wittelsbach family, the arms were changed. The old arms were placed in a point and the diamonds of the Wittelsbach family and the lion of the Pfalz were added. This combination first appears in 1587.
The seal of Odernheim from the 15th century (Hupp, 1927)
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.