Country : Belgium
The arms were granted on November 10, 1819, confirmed on April 7, 1838 and changed on February 9, 1981.
According to legend the chevron was granted by William of Normandy when he granted several privileges to the town. This chevron was based on the arms of Harelbeke, and the keys were added as a distinction. This, however, can not be proven.
The oldest use of the arms dates from the seals of the city since the 15th century. The chevron is more likely derived from the arms of Kortrijk, as Tielt was seat of one of the lower courts in the Kortrijk district. Other cities in the district, such as Harelbeke, also used the chevron.
The basic design of the arms never changed, however, until the 20th century, they keys sometimes face left, sometimes right, see some images below.
In the early 19th century the city was reconfirmed in the use of its arms by the Dutch government, however with a golden field. After the independence of Belgium in 1830, the arms were re-granted, but the colour was not corrected. Finally in 1981 the arms were corrected and a mural crown was added, to indicate the long history as a city.
Literature: Servais, 1955; Ostyn, 1997
Belgium heraldry portal
This page is part of the Belgium heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Contact and Support
- Your logo here ? Contact us !
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site