Country : Belgium
The arms were officially granted on September 15, 1819 and confirmed on May 31, 1838. The arms were again granted with supporters on June 26, 1859 and again on July 7, 1987.
The arms are based on the arms of the 12th century Viscounts of Kortrijk. The chevron appears for the first time on a seal of Rogier II of Kortrijk from 1197. In 1199 the chevron appears for the first time on a counter-seal of the city.
Until 1309 the chevron only appeared on the counter-seals, from 1286 onward also on the main seals. The supporters appear on the seal in 1368, the mural crown in the 18th century.
The oldest colour image dates from the end of the 15th century.
On September 15, 1819 the arms were granted without supporters and with a crown used for cities in the Netherlands at the time (see below). These arms were confirmed on May 31, 1838, after the Belgian independence. In 1858 the supporters were added again and the crown was replaced by a mural crown. These arms were confirmed in 1987, 11 years (!) after the municipal changes of 1976. This was largely due to a series of misunderstandings and bureaucratic issues both at the municipality as well as on governmental level.
Literature: Servais, 1955; Vivianne-Wouters and Warlop, 2002.
Belgium heraldry portal
This page is part of the Belgium heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site