|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
The arms were granted in 1950.
The lower half shows a black grouse (Birkhahn), a typical bird in the moors that cover(ed) a large part of the municipality. The bird is thus used as a canting element for the last part of the name of the municipality.
The upper half shows a flash of lightning, symbol for the local power station, built in 1907.
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.