Country : Belgium
The arms were granted on October 6, 1819 and again on February 16, 1993.
Aartselaar got its own council in 1558. Soon after the council got its own seal, showing St. Leonard, the local patron saint, and the arms of the Berthout family, Lords of the Mechelen area, to which the village belonged. In 1644 the manor was acquired by the Van den Cruyce family, and they added their arms to the seal. Ever since the arms have shown the saint with the Berthout (pales) and Van der Cruyce (cross) arms.
In 1813 the mayor applied for the arms by describing the seal, but not providing colours. As usual in such cases, the Dutch Court of Nobility placed the supporter in the shield and used only the national colours. This was not corrected after the Belgian Independence in 1830, but only in 1993.
Wapen van/Blason de Aartselaar]]
The arms in the Koffie Hag/Café Hag albums +/- 1930
The arms on a police badge (source)
Literature: Servais, 1955; Anonymous : Van evers en heiligen - wapens en vlaggen van de gemeenten in de provincie Antwerpen. Antwerpen, 1998.
Belgium heraldry portal
This page is part of the Belgium heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site