Country : Belgium
The arms were officially granted on October 20, 1819 and changed on June 28, 1847 and again on May 7, 1985.
Ardooie first received arms in 1819 by the Dutch government.
These arms showed in a blue shield three stars, the lower one with a comet-tail, all gold. The oldest seal of the council dates from 1692 and shows three stars. Another seal, dating from the 18th century shows the three stars, one with a comet tail. The council applied for the latter arms in the early 19th century. As no colours were known, the arms were granted in the Dutch national colours.
In 1847 the council decided to use historical arms of the 15th and 16th century Lords of Ardooie, in the colours used by the family. There is no known use of these arms by the local council during these centuries, but the arms appear already on a publication from 1619.
The 1985 arms combine the historical arms of Ardooie with those of Koolskamp.
The arms in the Koffie Hag/Café Hag albums +/- 1930
The arms on a police badge (source)
The arms on a VéGé match label
The arms on a Stompkop cigar band
Literature: Servais, M. : Armorial des provinces et des communes de Belgique. Liege, 1955, 1041 p
Belgium heraldry portal
This page is part of the Belgium heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site