Country : Belgium
The arms were officially granted on November 10, 1819, changed on February 26, 1840 and confirmed on June 6, 1989.
Bilzen received city rights in 1386 and in the new city two courts were held, one for the County Loon, one for the Diocese of Liège, as the area originally was part of the County Loon within the Diocese of Liège.
The oldest known seals date from the 14th century and already show a shield with the bars of the County Loon, and a beech tree, for the older name of the city, Beukenbilzen (to distinguish the town from nearby Eigenbilzen and Munsterbilzen), beuk meaning beech.
In the 14th and 15th century the seals showed arms which included the local patron saint, St. Martin. The saint disappeared again in the early 18th century from the seals. In 1819 the arms were granted in the Dutch national colours, as the mayor did not specifiy colours on the application. This was corrected in 1840 after the Belgian independence. The arms were confirmed in 1989.
The arms in the Koffie Hag/Café Hag albums +/- 1930
The arms on a police badge (source)
The arms on a Roulertas Confiserie label
Literature: Servais, 1955
Belgium heraldry portal
This page is part of the Belgium heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site