Country : Belgium
The arms were granted on July 26, 1926 and again on March 5, 1985. Previously slightly different arms, without supporter, were granted on January 14, 1902.
The Bree council first applied for arms in 1859, but this application was rejected. In 1898 the council applied for the same arms, which were then granted. The arms are based on the old seals of the city, the oldest known since 1431. The arms show the bars of the Loon County, in which the city was situated. The origin of the pales is not known.
In 1911 the council applied for the use of Archangel St. Michael as supporter, as the seals of Bree from 1425, 1676 and 1678 all showed the supporter. Similarly, it was discovered that the colours of the dexter field were wrong and should be gold and black instead of red and silver. Due to the First World War the procedure was not finished until 1926. After the mergers in 1977 it was decided to continue the old arms, as the arms of Opitter, the only other municipality bearing arms, also showed the bars of the Loon County.
The arms in the Koffie Hag/Café Hag albums +/- 1930
The arms on a Roulertas Confiserie label
The arms on a police badge (source)
Literature: Servais, 1955
Belgium heraldry portal
This page is part of the Belgium heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site