From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search


Province : Namur
Additions: Achêne, Braibant, Chevetogne, Conneux, Leignon, Pessoux, Serinchamps, Sovet

Armoiries de Ciney
Official blazon
English blazon wanted


The arms were granted on July 4, 1980.

The arms show five human heads.
The five heads first appear on a seal of the city dating from 1632. Ever since the heads are the arms of the city. The meaning of the heads is not known, although there are several legends mentioned as explanations.

The first legend states that Ciney was supposedly founded by Sedros, King of Tongeren. His son, Prince Clement, bore quins (5 sons), and renamed his city Chynée (from Cinq-née or five-born).

Another explanation is that the heads refer to the story in which St. Martin of Tours resuscitates five drowned children.

A third story mentions that the arms are supposedly canting for "cinq nés" or five noses.


The previous arms were granted on July 19, 1841 and differ only in the type of crown and the star above the crown.

There is one older seal known for Ciney dating from the early 14th century. It shows a simple fortified castle. Later seals, dating from the 15th and 16th century also show a castle.


Old seal of the city
Wapen van/Blason de Ciney

The arms in the Koffie Hag/Café Hag albums +/- 1930
Wapen van/Blason de Ciney

The arms on a police badge (source)

Literature: Servais, 1955

Belgium heraldry portal

This page is part of the
Belgium heraldry portal

Heraldry of the World

Civic heraldry:

  • Total pages in the Belgium section : 6,284
  • of which images : 5,065

Other heraldry:

Contact and Support


Your logo here ?
Contact us

© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink Ralf Hartemink arms.jpg
Index of the site