Comines (Hainaut)

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Belgium heraldry portal

This page is part of the
Belgium heraldry portal

Heraldry of the World

Civic heraldry:

  • Total pages in the Belgium section : 6,284
  • of which images : 5,065

Other heraldry:


Province : Hainaut
Incorporated into: 1977 Comines-Warneton

Armoiries de Comines (Hainaut)

Official blazon

  • (1819) In de lengte midden doorgesneden. Ter regter zijde van zilver beladen met een links gekeerde klimmende leeuw van zwart met een gouden kroon. Ter linker ztjde van lazuur beladen met een omgekeerde sleutel, verzeld door vijf roozen, geplaatst 2, 2 en 7 alles van goud, het schild gedekt door een kroon van goud.
  • (1842) D'or, à la clef de sable, aux huit roses de gueules [:] 3 à dextre, autant à senestre, une au-dessus de la clef et l'autre au-dessous.


The arms were granted on December 19, 1842.

The arms first appear on the local seals dating from 1643 and 1672. The roses are derived from the arms of the Lords of Comines. The origin of the key is not known. Later seals all used the same arms.

In the early 19th century the local council applied for rather different arms. The arms were divided per pale and showed in the first half in silver a black lion with a golden crown, and in the second half in blue a key surrounded by five roses all red. The origin of the lion is not known, most likely it was meant to be the lion of either Vlaanderen or Hainaut. These arms were granted on November 10, 1819.


In 1842 the council applied to change the arms to those used in the 17th century, which were finally granted in historical colours.

Wapen van/Blason de Comines (Hainaut)

The arms in the Koffie Hag/Café Hag albums +/- 1930

Contact and Support


Your logo here ?
Contact us

© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink Ralf Hartemink arms.jpg
Index of the site