Country : Belgium
The old arms were granted on February 24, 1818 and confirmed on May 27, 1844. The new arms were granted on December 2, 1985.
The arms are canting; the wavy bar in the right half shows the Dender river. The left half shows a (natural, not heraldic) lion (Leeuw in Dutch). As no historical seals were known, the local council probably designed the arms in 1813. Leeuw in the name probably is derived from an old word for hill and has nothing to do with lions...
The new arms combine the arms of the Gavere-Liedekerke and the Vilain XIII families.
Denderleeuw and Liedekerke historically formed one estate. In the late 12th century the estate became a possession of the van Gavere family. Raas V van Gavere (died 1217) used the title Lord of Liedekerke for the first time. The family held the estate until 1477. The arms of the family were three golden lions in red.
Iddergem and Welle formed one estate since 1698, which at the time was bought by Frans Ignaas Vilain XIII. The family Vilain XIII remained Lords of the estate until the late 18th century. Their arms were a black shield with silver chief with a black label.
The arms in the Koffie Hag/Café Hag albums +/- 1930
The arms on a Roulertas Confiserie label
The arms on a police badge (source)
Literature: Servais, 1955
Belgium heraldry portal
This page is part of the Belgium heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site