Country : Belgium
The arms were granted on February 26, 1851, changed on October 5, 1928, again changed on December 8, 1952 and confirmed on February 16, 1993.
In medieval times the area was split in three estates, Duffel-Perwijs, Duffel-Hoogheid and Duffel-Voogdij. The first two were since the 13th century a possession of the Berkhout family, the latter was since the 11th century owned by the Abbey in Nijvel. In 1571 they were bought and combined by Floris van Merode-Deinze. The Merode family owned the village until the late 18th century.
All three estates had their own seals. Duffel-Perwijs used a seal with the three red pales of the Berthout family and a free canton with ermine tails; Duffel-Hoogheid used only the Berthout arms and Duffel-Voogdij used a crosier with the arms of the Lords of Wezemaal (governors for the Abbey, three fleur-de-lys).
In 1851 only the arms of Duffel-Perwijs were granted, as this was the largest of the three estates. In 1927 the arms were augmented with the arms of the Lords of Wezemaal to represent Duffel-Voogdij. However, the fleur-de-lys were granted as demi-fleur-de-lys, which was corrected in 1951. After some small border changes the arms were confirmed again in 1993.
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site
Literature: Anonymous : Van evers en heiligen - wapens en vlaggen van de gemeenten in de provincie Antwerpen. Antwerpen, 1998; Keersmaekers, 1988; images from the Gemeentearchief Duffel