Country : Belgium
The arms were granted on September 1, 1932 and confirmed on February 16, 1993.
The arms are derived from the arms of the De Fiennes family, counts of Chaumont. The estate of Edegem was acquired by Charles de Fiennes on November 16, 1652. His family owned the estate for some time, but in the 18th century it was sold to other families. Nevertheless, the only known seal of the Edegem council, dating from 1748, still shows the Fiennes arms. This indicated that the arms were uses as arms of the estate and no longer of the family only. Hence the local council applied for these arms in 1931.
The arms are also used by the village of Fiennes in France.
The arms in the Koffie Hag/Café Hag albums +/- 1930
The arms on a police badge (source)
The arms on a BAC sticker
Literature: Anonymous : Van evers en heiligen - wapens en vlaggen van de gemeenten in de provincie Antwerpen. Antwerpen, 1998.
Belgium heraldry portal
This page is part of the Belgium heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site