Gliwice

From Heraldry of the World
(Redirected from Gleiwitz)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

GLIWICE

Province: Śląsk
County: Free urban city
Additions: 1964 Łabędy

Arms (crest) of Gliwice
Official blazon
Polish blazon wanted
English blazon wanted

Origin/meaning

The above arms combine the eagle of Upper Silezia with a tower representing the city. These are the oldest historical arms of the city.

New arms were granted on August 14, 1629 by Emperor Ferdinand II of Austria. These showed the Austrian eagle combined with the eagle of Upper Silezia, with the tower in the middle, with the Emperor's initials on the gate, and above the gate the image of the H. Mary with child. These arms were used until the middle of the 20th century, but different versions were used, as the colours and the shapes were not well defined.

Gleiwitzz1.jpg

The seal from around 1900
Wappen von Gliwice/Coat of arms (crest) of Gliwice

The arms in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Gleiwitz.abd.jpg

The arms in the Abdulla album, 1928
Arms (crest) of Gliwice

The arms in the Abadie albums
Gliwice.jpg

The arms as shown around 1970

Contact and Support

Partners:

Your logo here ?
Contact us



© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink Ralf Hartemink arms.jpg
Index of the site

Literature : Plewako and Wanag, 1994