- (1818) Een blaauw schild beladen met de letter S. in het hoofd, en daaronder die van NŸS. alles van goud.
- (1868) D'azur, chargé en chef de la lettre S et au dessous les lettres N Y S. Le tout d'or.
The arms were granted on October 31, 1818 and again on February 15, 1868.
The Estate of Houwaart has had many different Lords of the Manor during the centuries, but the local council did not have its own seal until the 18th century. The seal showed the patron saint of the village, St. Denis. When the arms were granted in 1868 the council did not apply for the saint itself but for his name, the letters S (Sint) and NŸS (Denijs).
The colours are the Dutch national colours, as in 1813 the mayor applied without indicating the colours. The arms were thus granted in the national colours. When the arms were confirmed after the Belgian independence, the colours were not changed.
The arms in the Koffie Hag/Café Hag albums +/- 1930
Literature: Servais, 1955
Belgium heraldry portal
This page is part of the Belgium heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site