Country : Belgium
|D'argent, au lion de sable armé et lampassé de gueules, accompagné en chef de deux tourcelles de même.
The arms were granted on September 15, 1841.
The arms are based on the 16th century seal of the town and are also mentioned in a 16th century manuscript. The arms are also shown in a roll of arms from 1666.
The tower appears already on the oldest known seal of the town, dating from 1211. The tower was most likely used to symbolise the fortifications of the town. The town historically belonged to the Dukes of Brabant, and the lion on the later seals and the arms is the black lion of Brabant. The tower was duplicated, but the arms still emphasise the importance of the fortifications for the Dukes of Brabant.
The arms in a 17th century manuscript
The arms in the Koffie Hag/Café Hag albums +/- 1930
The arms on a police badge (source)
Literature: Servais, 1955
Belgium heraldry portal
This page is part of the Belgium heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site