Country : Belgium
|Dutch||Een wit veld met eenen rooden keper waerop dry gulden St-Michielsschelpen, en beneden vergezeld van eenen bos groene biezen ryzende op eenen aerdkluyt van dezelfde kleur.|
The arms were granted on October 28, 1840.
The arms are first seen on a 16th century map of the Free Territory of Brugge (Brugse Vrije). The chevron most likely was the symbol of the Lords of Dudzele. The shells are officially described as shells of Saint Michael, but more likely are the symbol of St. James, as one of the main roads of the pilgrims to the grave of the saint in Santiago de Compostella (Spain) originated in Lissewege.
The base of the arms shows a canting reed plant (lis=reed mace).
The arms in the Koffie Hag/Café Hag albums +/- 1930
Literature: Servais, 1955
Belgium heraldry portal
This page is part of the Belgium heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site