Country : Belgium
The arms were granted on November 24, 1838 and again on September 27, 1909 and October 5, 1988.
The arms are derived from the old arms of the Lords of Maldegem. The first known arms of a Lord of Maldegem date from 1307. Philips, Lord of Maldegem, used a seal with a knight holding a shield with a cross and 12 merles. In the Gelre Roll of Arms from the early 14th century the arms of the Lords of Maldegem are shown as gold, with a red cross and 12 red merles. The arms are listed already in 1619 for the town, but the first known use of the arms by the council of Maldegem itself dates from 1643 when the arms appear on the local seal. Later seals all show the same arms, sometimes with a crown and sometimes held by two lion supporters. The latter were not granted in 1909.
The blazon of 1838 mentions the merles as geese, but the image shows the proper birds.
The arms in the Koffie Hag/Café Hag albums +/- 1930
The arms on a Roulertas match label
The arms on a Abonné cigar band
The arms on a Jubilé cigar band
The arms on a Edo del Monte cigar band
Literature: Servais, 1955
Belgium heraldry portal
This page is part of the Belgium heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site