Melle (Oost-Vlaanderen)

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search


Province : Oost-Vlaanderen
Additions: 1976 Gontrode

Wapen van Melle (Oost-Vlaanderen)/Coat of arms (crest) of Melle (Oost-Vlaanderen)
Official blazon
English blazon wanted


The arms were officially granted on December 10, 1980.

The arms are those of the former Lords of Melle from the late 13th century. Their arms are mentioned in a roll of arms from 1557. They descended from the knight Zeger van Kortrijk van Drongen (1231-1248), who already used four chevrons, the upper one couped.

The previous arms were granted on February 19, 1951.


The arms show the lion and the bordure of the Lords of Rode. In the 12th century Melle was acquired by the Lords of Rode, who owned the estate for several centuries (see also Gentbrugge en Gontrode). The supporter is the local patron saint, St. Martin of Tours.

Wapen van/Blason de Melle (Oost-Vlaanderen)

The arms on a police badge (source)

Literature: Servais, 1955

Belgium heraldry portal

This page is part of the
Belgium heraldry portal

Heraldry of the World

Civic heraldry:

  • Total pages in the Belgium section : 6,284
  • of which images : 5,065

Other heraldry:

Contact and Support


Your logo here ?
Contact us

© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink Ralf Hartemink arms.jpg
Index of the site