- (1906) Goud met rood kruis, vergezeld van vier leeuwen van dezelfde kleur.
- (1978) Schild van goud met een kruis van keel en met vier leeuwen van hetzelfde in de hoeken.
The arms were granted on November 26, 1906 and again on July 3, 1978.
The arms are derived from the 14th century seal of the town. The cross was awarded by the Counts of Vlaanderen to Wouter van Nevele after his crusade in the 12th century. The lions were probably added by the Ghistelle family, Lords of Nevele in the 14th century. A 17th century seal of the city also shows the cross with the four lions.
As colours were not known, they were chosen arbitrarily.
The arms in the Koffie Hag/Café Hag albums +/- 1930
Literature: Servais, 1955
Belgium heraldry portal
This page is part of the Belgium heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site