Country : Belgium
The arms were granted on September 2, 1818, again on December 20, 1846 and on November 17, 1987.
The oldest seal of the city dates from 1415 and shows a bishop holding two shields, those of Burgundy (Bourgogne) and Flanders (Vlaanderen). Ninove had received city rights in 1339 from Count Hendrik van Vlaanderen. In 1557 the arms were described as divided with the imperial eagle and the lion of Vlaanderen. The city was one of the main cities in Vlaanderen and the whole territory formed part of the Holy Roman Empire.
Later images also showed the same composition, as did a later 18th century seal. Thus the arms were granted by the Dutch government in 1818 and by the Belgian government in 1846. After the municipal reform in 1987 the arms were granted with a mural crown, common for (formerly) fortified cities.
The arms in the Koffie Hag/Café Hag albums +/- 1930
The arms on a police badge (source)
The arms on a Abonné cigar band
The arms on a Vandeputte - Belgian arms sticker by Vandeputte
Literature: Servais, 1955; images and information from Gemeentewapens in Belgie, 2002
Belgium heraldry portal
This page is part of the Belgium heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site