Country : Finland
Region : Pirkanmaa
Former province :
|Heraldry of the World
|Finnish heraldry portal
|Punaisessa kentässä aaltokoroinen vastapalkki, jonka yläpuolella saatteena paaluittainen vasara ja alapuolella paaluittainen Merkuriuksen sauva; kaikki kultaa.
The arms were granted on June 16, 1960.
The arms show a wavy golden bend for the rapids around which the town developed. The blacksmith's hammer and caduceus are symbols for industry and trade.
The first arms for the city were granted on March 20, 1839 by the Russian Emperor. They already had the same basic composition, but in different colours and the hammer was a letter T, the town's initial. These arms remained official until 1960.
In the middle of the 19th century new arms were designed, but never approved. In this proposal the letter T was replaced by golden coins for trade, and the caduceus by a water-mill wheel for industry. In the upper left corner the provincial arms of the Turku and Pori province were added.
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site