- (1819) Van lazuur, beladen met een sleutel van goud.
- (1838) Hemelsblaeuw koleur met eenen gulden sleutel lynregt geplaetst.
- (1978) Van lazuur met een gouden sleutel paalsgewijze geplaatst.
The arms were granted on October 13, 1819 and confirmed on April 30, 1838 and July 13, 1978.
The key is the symbol of St. Peter. The village was given in 870 to the Saint Peter abbey in Gent, and the abbey owned many possessions in the village for many centuries.
The oldest known use of a key for the village dates from a 17th century map, where the arms are already shown. The only historical seal of Temse, known from 1779 also shows the key. As in 1819 the council did not apply for colours, the arms were granted in the Dutch historical colours. The arms were confirmed after the Belgian independence, but the colours were not changed.
The arms from 1819
The arms in the Koffie Hag/Café Hag albums +/- 1930
The arms on a police badge (source)
Literature: Servais, 1955
Belgium heraldry portal
This page is part of the Belgium heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site