Country : Belgium
Province : Hainaut
Additions: (to see click on expand)
The arms were officially granted on March 31, 1824 and again on March 20, 1838 and on April 30, 1931. The crown was changed on June 8, 1979.
The arms show a canting tower (Tour) and a chief with three French royal fleur-de-lys. The arms showed only the tower until King Charles VII granted the chief in 1426. However, the arms with the chief only appeared on the local seals in 1740, older seals only showed the tower.
The arms from 1824 and 1838 show the tower rising from the base, in 1931 the tower was placed in the field and in 1979 the crown was changed to a mural crown, indicating the city rights from the 13th century.
The arms in a 16th century manuscript
The arms in the Wapen- en Vlaggenboek van Gerrit Hesman (1708)
The arms in the Koffie Hag/Café Hag albums +/- 1930
The arms on a police badge (source)
The arms in the city (source)
Literature: Servais, 1955
Belgium heraldry portal
This page is part of the Belgium heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site