Country : Belgium
The arms were granted on December 14, 1874. New arms were adopted on September 9, 1980.
The arms are based on the oldest seals of the city, dating from the 16th century. The seal showed a castle and in the upper left corner the arms of Namur. The town at the time was a possession of the Counts of Namur. In the 16th century the town was acquired by Emperor Charles V, and the lion was replaced by the imperial eagle (black on gold). In 1874 the old composition was retained, but the imperial eagle was replaced by the eagle of the Lords of Walcourt, the oldest lords of the town (see also Rochefort).
Currently the municipality, however, uses different arms, based on the 1874 arms.
The arms in the Koffie Hag/Café Hag albums +/- 1930
The arms on a Roulertas Confiserie label
The arms on a police badge (source)
Literature: Servais, 1955
Belgium heraldry portal
This page is part of the Belgium heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site