- (1819) Van zilver beladen met een blaauwe dwarsbalk, het schild gedekt met een kroon van goud.
- (1838) D'argent à la fasce d'azur l'écu timbré d'une couronne [à cinq fleurons] d'or.
The arms were granted on September 15, 1819 and were confirmed on July 31, 1838.
Warneton was first mentioned in the 11th century. The village became in the 12th century a possession of the Lords of Béthune, who owned the town for nearly 2 centuries. The arms of the family showed in silver a red bar, instead of the blue bar in the above arms. The bar appeared on the local seals since 1391. Previously the seal of the town showed a castle. All later seals show the above arms, but official colours are not known. It is likely that the colours were changed in 1819, as often the images and descriptions send to The Hague were not very clear. After the Belgian independence the colours were not changed and the old arms remained in use.
Warneton was in 1713 divided into two parts at the Treaty of Utrecht. The Northern part remained part of Vlaanderen (later it was transferred to Hainaut), the Southern part still is part of France. The municipality of Warneton-Sud uses similar arms, but in the old colours : in silver a red bar.
The arms in the Koffie Hag/Café Hag albums +/- 1930
Literature: Servais, 1955
Belgium heraldry portal
This page is part of the Belgium heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site