The arms as shown above are derived from the image of the oldest known seal of the city (German name Winzen), dating from 1377. It shows a tower with star and vine branch. The meaning of the three elements is not known, although the tower probably denotes the fortified character of the city. This composition was used until 1512, when the city was granted new arms.
The new arms showed a knight holding a vine branch. In 1651 these arms were confirmed and re-granted. All later seals, with the exception of a seal from the early 17th century, now showed the new arms (see below). In the mid 20th century, however, the city returned to the use of the old arms.
The arms in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
The arms in the early 1990s
Literature: Plewako and Wanag, 1994
|Heraldry of the World
|Polish heraldry portal
Herbarz Miast Polskich
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site