Kingdom of Westfalen
|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
KINGDOM OF WESTFALEN (KÖNIGREICH WESTPHALEN)
The kingdom of Westfalen was created in 1807 and existed until 1813 as a vassal state of the French Empire under Napoleon.
The arms show the horse of Westfalen in the first quarter, which has been used as a symbol of the area for many centuries by the Archbishops of Köln (Duchy of Westfalen). It was also used by the Province of Westfalen, the successor of the Kingdom and it is now part of the arms of the State of Nordrhein-Westfalen.
The second quarter is again divided with in a: the lions of the County of Diez; in b: and c: the arms of the Counties of Zeigenhain and Nidda and in d: the County of Katzenelnbogen, over all an escutcheon of Hessen.
The third quarter was newly designed and should represent the area around Magdeburg.
The fourth quarter shows in a the arms of the Duchy of Braunschweig, in b the arms of the County of Diepholz, in c the arms of the Duchy of Lüneburg and in 4d the arms of the County of Lauterburg. The whole quarter is taken from the old arms of Braunschweig.
The escutcheon shows the French Imperial eagle.
Literature :Schnath, G. : Das Sachsenross, 1958.