From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search


State : Rheinland-Pfalz
District (Kreis) : Rhein-Lahn Kreis (until 1969 Unterlahnkreis)
Verbandsgemeinde : Verbandsgemeinde Diez
Additions: 1938 Freiendiez

Wappen von Diez
Official blazon
German blazon wanted
English blazon wanted


The arms are identical to the arms of the counts of Diez, who founded the village in 1070 and granted city rights in 1329. Ever since the seals and arms of the town show the two lions.

The original dynasty became extinct in 1388, but the arms were still used for both the county and the city. Later counts, like William of Nassau (see Dutch National Arms) and the Grand Dukes of Luxembourg, used the lions of Diez as a field in their arms.

Coat of arms (crest) of Diez

The arms in the Wapen- en Vlaggenboek van Gerrit Hesman (1708)
Seal of Diez

Seal from around 1900
Seal of Diez

Seal from around 1900
Wappen von Diez/Coat of arms (crest) of Diez

The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Wappen von Diez/Coat of arms (crest) of Diez

Municipal stationery, 1960s

Literature: Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.

This page is part of the
German heraldry portal

Heraldry of the World

German heraldry:

Selected collector's items from Germany:

Contact and Support


Your logo here ?
Contact us

© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink Ralf Hartemink arms.jpg
Index of the site