State : Sachsen
District (Kreis) : Meissen
Additions : 1901 Cölln (1890 Niederfähre-Vorbrücke); 1908 Niederspaar; 1912 Oberspaar, Zaschendorf; 1914 Bohnitzsch,Neudörfchen; 1923 Korbitz; 1928 Lercha, Meisatal (1921 Fischergasse, Hintermauer, Niedermeisa, Obermeisa); 1937 Klosterhäuser; 1950 Dobritz; 1994 Winkwitz (1939 Proschwitz)
The lion in the arms is the lion used by the former Counts of Meissen, who ruled the city for many centuries and who granted city rights in the 12th century. The red tower probably symbolises the historical castle, built in the 10th century. The oldest seals of the city only showed the helmet and crest of the Counts of Meissen (a Jew's head). The above arms first appear on the seals in the early 16th century and have not changed since.
The arms in a 16th century manuscript
Seal from 1932
Seal from 1900
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
The arms in the Abadie albums
The arms on the city hall with the typical crest.
The arms on a manhole cover
Postal cancellation 1979
This page is part of the German heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Selected collector's items from Germany:
Contact and Support
- Your logo here ? Contact us !
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site