County of Mark
COUNTY OF MARK
The County of Mark was a medium sized county located in the present-day German state of Nordrhein-Westfalen. It lay on both sides of the Ruhr river along the Volme and Lenne rivers. The largest part is the current district of Märkischer Kreis.
The Counts of the Mark were among the most powerful and influential Westphalian lords in the Holy Roman Empire. It existed as an independent territory from the 12th century to 1806, when it was mediatised to the Grand-Duchy of Berg. Capital was the city of Hamm. The arms can be seen in a large number of civic arms in the former county.
The arms are those of the Counts of the Mark (1249-1341).
The arms in the Wapen- en Vlaggenboek van Gerrit Hesman (1708)
This page is part of the German heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Selected collector's items from Germany:
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site