State : Nordrhein-Westfalen
District (Kreis) : Lippe (until 1973 Detmold)
Additions : 1970 Barkhausen, Bentrup, Berlebeck, Brokhausen, Dehlentrup, Hakedahl, Heidenoldendorf, Heiligenkirchen, Hiddesen, Hornoldendorf, Jerxen-Orbke, Leistrup-Meiersfeld, Loßbruch, Mosebeck, Niederschönhagen, Nienhagen, Niewald, Oberschönhagen, Oettern-Bremke, Pivitsheide, Remmighausen, Schönemark, Spork-Eichholz, Vahlhausen
Detmold received city rights around 1240 from Count Bernhard III of Lippe. The oldest known seal dates from the late 13th century and formed the base of the present arms, which were granted in 1970.
The arms show a fortress with two small shields of the Counts of Lippe. The rose of Lippe also is shown in a stylised form on the tower itself.
The city used the rose of Lippe in its seals and arms from around 1350 until the 20th century.
The municipal stamp shown in 1892
Seal from around 1900
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
The arms in a German album +/- 1910
The arms in the Wappen-Sammlung (1900)
The arms in the Abadie albums
Emergency money from the 1920s
This page is part of the German heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Selected collector's items from Germany:
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site