Country : Belgium
The arms were granted on October 6, 1819 and again on August 29, 1842.
The three chevrons are derived from the arms of the Lords of Deurne, first mentioned in 1354 for the knight Jan van Deurne. In 1469 the arms were also mentioned for Willem van Deurne, alderman in Antwerpen. Since the 16th century the local council used an escutcheon with a tree.
The tree is a canting symbol for the Van der Elst family (Els=alder), who had acquired the estate and village of Deurne in the 15th century.
The colours are the Dutch national colours, as in1813 the mayor applied without indicating the colours. The arms were thus granted in the national colours. When the arms were confirmed after the Belgian independence, the colours were not changed.
The arms in the Koffie Hag/Café Hag albums +/- 1930
The arms on a police badge (source)
The arms on a Dutch Willem II cigar band
The arms on a BAC sticker
Literature: Servais, 1955
Belgium heraldry portal
This page is part of the Belgium heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site