From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search


State : Bayern
District (Kreis) : Bamberg
Additions: 1978 Birkach, Herrnsdorf, Reundorf

Wappen von Frensdorf/Arms (crest) of Frensdorf
Official blazon

Gespalten von Blau und Gold; vorne übereinander zwei linksgewendete, schreitende silberne Löwen, hinten der heilige Johannes der Täufer in schwarzem Fellgewand, in der Rechten einen schwarzen Kreuzstab haltend, zu seinen Füßen ein schwarzes Lamm


The arms were officially granted on October 27, 1953.

The arms show on the left half the image of St. John Baptist as a shephard. St. John is the patron saint of the local church. The colours are those of the former State of Bamberg, to which the area historically belonged. The two lions are the arms attributed to the Counts of Abenberg and Frensdorf, 12th century bailiffs of the Bishops of Bamberg in the region. They became extinct in 1190 and no true arms are known.

Literature: Stadler, 1990.

This page is part of the
German heraldry portal

Heraldry of the World

German heraldry:

Selected collector's items from Germany:

Contact and Support


Your logo here ?
Contact us

© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink Ralf Hartemink arms.jpg
Index of the site