Country : Belgium
The arms were granted on September 15, 1841 and again on March 12, 1996.
The arms are based on the arms of the Berthout family, Lords of Geel from the early 12th century until 1366. The arms already appear on the seal of the city from 1311. The seal also already shows a bird on the shield, which has later been described as a cuckoo. The arms remained in use until the late 18th century and were again adopted after the Belgian independence.
All historical official images show the cuckoo on the shield, but on paintings and other non official documents the cuckoo often replaced the ermine in the free canton.
The differences between the arms of 1841 and 1996 is that the cuckoo is no longer standing on the leaves, but directly on the shield as in the historical seal.
The arms in the Koffie Hag/Café Hag albums +/- 1930
The arms on a police badge (source)
The arms on a Dutch Willem II cigar band
The arms on a Végé match label
Literature: Anonymous : Van evers en heiligen - wapens en vlaggen van de gemeenten in de provincie Antwerpen. Antwerpen, 1998.
Belgium heraldry portal
This page is part of the Belgium heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site